Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Why buy it when you can make it

My granddaughter who is 11 was graduating to middle school. We searched and searched for a dress for her, but couldn't find one. She is at that age where  juniors are too grown-up and little girl clothes are too little girl. After being at the mall for a few hours she finally said GeeGee, why don't you make me a dress I'm like sure why not. She pick the pattern Simplicity 1212 she pick the colors and of course she like ponte. She also asked for the exposed zipper.

Because she lives in Virginia the most difficult part was the fit.I took a scrap of ponte cut the top like a tank, used that for the fit for the neck and the armhole, which I felt was most important. this worked as if she was right there with me. We bought her a sewing machine but she only wants to sew when she comes to visit, using my machine. She has very expensive taste at such a tender age. I think this experience taught her what we as sewers have always known.

Why buy it when you can make it.
And did I mention she received the presidential award for excellence? You go Tiana.



1 comment:

Tomasa said...

Beautiful dress. Your granddaughter wears it well. And congrats to her for winning that award!

Followers