Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Faux Leather

I can't tell you how proud I am of the way this jacket turned out. What I can tell you is that, I enjoyed making a garment with faux leather. I thought it would be harder but it wasn't. This is the fabric I bought last year see my post labeled Fabric Stores. I could not pin the pattern to the fabric so I used weights (the nuts work really well too you can get them at any hardwrae store for about  50 cents). When I attached the  cut pieces together before sewing, they were stapled  together on the very edge of the fabric. This works really well when sewing leather, because the leather tends to slip. The stapleas are easy to machine stich over. When the staples are removed it doesn't leave a hole in the fabric.  I was able to hand stitch the lining to the jacket. The fabric was not that thick where the needle would not go through. Since the fabric was so pretty, I decided not to put any trim on it like my previous jackets. Sometimes less is best.I did change the lining facing in the back because I wanted to sew in my lable and make it look more professional.




4 comments:

Myra said...

You're sooooo correct, this jacket is very, very pretty on you! We share something in common..."empty nesters" & multiple sewing personalities!

Kisha said...

Your jacket is beautiful and looks super great on you.

Sewingfoo said...

Love, love, love your gorgeous jacket and you look great in it. I was wondering if you could talk more about the lining and any interfacing you used. I am also interested in your great labels and how you did them. I noticed your jacket on Patternsreview and am now following your awesome blog.

Bunny said...

Love this jacket and the butterscotch color. Very flattering!

Followers